**This is Part 3 of aÂ 3-part series on counting macros to look good naked and break PRs in the gym:
â€¢ Part 1 â€“ Â Counting Macros & Flexible Dieting 101
â€¢ Part 2 â€“Â How to Count Macros The Right Way AND How to Royally Screw it Up (like I did)â€¦
â€¢ Part 3 â€“YOU ARE HEREÂ â€“ Pros and Cons of Counting Macros (PLUS: FAQs)
Welcome to the final part in our series on flexible dieting and counting macros!
First, I want to say we have finally released our Nutrition Course/Program, and you can learn more about that here.
Second, what we have today is a podcast episode where I cover all of the pros and cons to counting macros and flexible dieting + I answer a lot of the questions I have been asked while doing this series. I have made it super easy for you to findÂ the information you want by providing the TIME in the podcast where each question/topic is listed. You can jump around on the audio track or listen to the whole thing.
- (0:00) Intro
- (2:13) Pros of counting macros and flexible dieting
- (5:23) Cons of counting macros and flexible dieting
- (10:11) Pre-Questions Info and Disclaimers
- (10:56) Being optimal
- (11:44) How each person responds to diet and how much training you should be doing
- (12:32) How often your macro breakdown will change
- (14:05) What is the recommended macro breakdown for muscle gain?
- (15:17) What is the recommended macro breakdown for maximizing fat loss?
- (17:15) What is the recommended macro breakdown for fat loss + maximizing gains?
- (19:18) How much protein should really be consumed?
- (22:24) What if my food does not have a label?
- (23:04) How long will a macro plan be good for?
- (23:28) Intermittent Fasting?
- (26:02) Carbs vs Net Carbs. Do you count dietary fiber as a carb? Don’t count Veggies?
- (29:25) When counting macros, is one food only counted as the macronutrient it is highest in or all it contains. Certain sources give different ways of doing so. Also, when eating natural foods that don’t necessarily have nutrition labels, how are these counted? Some articles state that things like veggies “don’t count” because of their high fiber, just wondered what your thoughts are on this?
- (31:01) Can paleo and flexible dieting work together? I’ve always heard people doing one or the other. Would it just be picking paleo friendly foods to fit your macro plan?
- (33:54) What if I don’t have a scale?
- (34:14) Thoughts on eating Organic, Grass/Grain-fed, GMO-free, etc.
- (36:38) First question is that I thought doing low carb meant trying to keep carbs under 50g per day. Â Is ketosis possible with this number of carbs or is ketosis necessary if following this plan?
- (38:16) How do you calculate your own percentages?
- (41:01) What do you do about cravings?