Excuse me Sir/Maâ€™am, what exactly do you think you are doing?Â Why did you get up this morning? What are you working towards? What are you doing???
Ok, letâ€™s not get too philosophical here. Today, we talk about what we are doing (focus), making lists and DOING stuff! Performing the little exercise below will help you put things where they should be, and will help you put fitness back where it belongs.
Personally, I am doing WAY TOO much all the time. Recently, I have realized that I need to get more focused…if I donâ€™t it will cut into my life, my fitness and eventually lead to unhappiness. I need to pick a few things and thatâ€™s it – next step, get â€˜em done!! Maybe you are in a similar situation? What to do about it?
Over the next 7 days I want you to prioritize, reevaluate and cut out some things out of your life! This was we can start to do what we really want to! Hey I am doing it too, so join me. You could probably do all of this in one day, but the point is to really think and be focused, and to not spend too much time on any single day.
Day 1 (today) – Overhaul
- Write down every single thing you do, have on your plate and even the things you WANT to do. Any project, side-gig, idea…write it all down. Think hard! For most people this will not be a small or short list.
Day 2 – Make the cut
- Not everybody gets to play on the team! Look at your long list, what is not necessary? What can you cut out, or absolutely do not need to be doing?
- This is not easy, I know. You may need to tell some people NO. You may have to make some hard decisions, but if you protect your time, you protect your well-being and overall happiness.
Day 3 – Prioritize
- Let me start by saying, fitness really NEEDS to be on of your priorities. Making fitness a priority will help you feel better about yourself, it will make you more confident and it will make you healthier.
- Now, you have to take your list and number them by order of importance. This way, as you go down your list, if you realize you only have time for X, Y and Z you only do those things. You stop when your time stops.
Day 4 – Dream big
- What are some of your dreams that you have stopped chasing because â€œyou donâ€™t have the timeâ€?
- At the bottom of your list add a section called â€œDream Bigâ€. Donâ€™t worry about numbering these things with the other list above. However, order them by importance as well, but just within the dreams list.
- Add all of your dreams or things you want to do under â€œDream Bigâ€.
Day 5 – [Insert here]
- Alright, I pulled a fast one on you here 🙂 What you should have at this point, is a prioritized list of things you do in life, and at the bottom of this list you have a prioritized list of â€œdreamsâ€.
- Now, take your #1 from the â€œDream Bigâ€ list and insert it in your Top 3 priorities of the other list.
- Whatâ€™s the point of having a â€œDream Bigâ€ list or â€œBucket Listâ€ if you aren’t actually working towards it?? This also is not easy. Now for the rest of the time you have today for this 7-day process, I want you to actually plan out how you are going to start adding this dream into your daily life.
- I donâ€™t know what your #1 dream is, but chances are it will take some work. Maybe it is to run a marathon, own your own business, etc.. It will take planning and coordination…You can do this! Figure it out!
Day 6 – Review(s)
- Now look over your list, your new plan and how you are going to approach things. Does it make sense? It is possible, feasible logical? Not so fast! Donâ€™t answer these questions yourself.
- Take your list and let someone else review it; preferably a very close friend or family member. Personally, I will have my wife review mine. She has a tendency to always bring me back down to earth.
- Make any necessary changes based off of this review.
Day 7 – The new list!!
- You should now have a completely finalized list that will help you conquer the world and become a better human. Now what to do with it…
- You must fit your list on a single sheet of paper.
- You must carry your list around with you at all times (wallet, pocket or purse).
- You must remind yourself daily of your list
Make a copy of the list and put it on your bathroom mirror, or take a dry erase marker and write some of it out on your mirror.The point of this list is not just to prioritize your life and get more organized. The point it to create more time for yourself where you can start to accomplish the things you truly want to do.
I call my list â€œMy Revolutionâ€ and you can check it out here. I am taking the rest of this week to revamp my list and add more focus to getting things done. So what you see today will Â not be what you see in 7 days 🙂 Time to get to work!!
Good luck on your lists and finally finding out what you are doing!