I recently got to interview AJ Roberts, a 2X World Record Holder Powerlifter, and someone who can actually claim he was the strongest man in the world. I mean this dude has squatted 1,205 lb!!
BUT…While many know him for his accomplishments as a powerlifter; he has actually ran many successful businesses, he’s a speaker, author, online marketer, podcaster, and a highly sought after growth consultant in the fitness niche.
Why am I telling you all that?
I didn’t just want to know about AJ, Westside Barbell, and band tension or box squats…
When we started the interview, I told AJ I wanted to dissect him, because success leaves clues and I know he didn’t get where he is by simply adding more weight to the barbell every year. He got to where he is and achieved what he has through a rock-solid mindset, good habits, routines and rituals.
Here’s some of what we covered…
39 Ways to Crush Life, Business and Barbells with AJ Roberts
- Don’t be afraid to experiment – AJ tried out soccer when he was younger but didn’t really like it too much, found he was a good basketball player and even bowler before he embraced the barbell and became the world’s strongest man.
- A BIG goal takes a vision – If you want to achieve something great it will be measured in years, not weeks or months.
- Success isn’t a solo sport – Surround yourself with the right people & environment whether in business, life or fitness.
- Achievement is simple (not easy) – Fully commit! Go all in!
- Have a goal? Don’t focus on external factors or negative people. Keep at it!
- Be aware of what you are doing with achievement – Glory is not found in the destination, but rather, in the pursuit of a goal.
- Want to stay motivated? Measure your progress and look back regularly to see how far you’ve come.
- You don’t need it NOW – Learn to delay gratification and you can achieve anything.
- Focus on sticking not speeding – Speed in accomplishing a goal as not as important as your will to stick with it.
- Have a big goal? Know sacrifice is inevitable. Most aren’t willing to sacrifice.
- What do you have to do to be successful? Be willing to do WHATEVER it takes
- There is always a bump in the road…SO WHAT!? Everyone will get taken off the path. What you do in those moments defines you.
- Frustrated by failure? Embrace it. Failure happens.
- Expand your mind – Limiting beliefs hold most people back. It’s your job to crush these beliefs.
- Encourage those around you – Encouragement goes a long way in building confidence and successful human beings. Give it freely.
- Pick your battles wisely – Don’t take on every challenge for the sake of the challenge. Know what challenge is in line with your goal.
- Confidence leads to success. Want more of it? Confidence comes from repetition of skill
- Want more luck? Luck is repetition of skill (see the pattern here?)
- Don’t neglect your brain – Train the mind just like you do the body
- Learn new ideas daily – Never stop learning (read a lot)
- Schedule learning – Block out a time specifically for learning each week.
- Find out who you are – Spend time to learn about an understand yourself. Most don’t. Self mastery is rare.
- Have a weakness in fitness? Find them all and turn them into strengths
- Have a weakness in business? Fill your weaknesses with the right people
- Have a weakness in relationships? Don’t be afraid to train that weakness; get a coach, get help and figure it out.
- Learn your strengths but always be aware of weakness – Knowing your weaknesses is way more powerful than knowing your strengths
- Want freedom? You will have to design a life you want to live and lead and go after full force
- You REALLY want freedom? Freedom comes from structure
- Don’t let your day happen to you – Have a morning routine
- Train early – Workout in the morning. The day tends to get busy.
- Don’t procrastinate – Mange time by time blocking.
- Sit in silence regularly – Meditate
- Write it down – Journal daily
- Talk to yourself the right way – Learn to use affirmations daily and positive self talk
- Be aware of your self-talk – If you often think negatively, realize it, and fix it.
- Put your phone down – Be present with your friends and loved ones.
- Do you think you are the only one? Everyone has doubt, fears, and a dark side. Learn to tame that side.
- Want to build mental toughness? Learn to face your fears regularly
39. Want to know AJ’s best advice for becoming a better human?
Listen to the podcast to find out!