Welcome to The Better Human Quest. A quest aimed at one thing – becoming a better (hu)man.
In 2011 my brother was in a terrible accident in which he was severely injured. The night of the accident we were told there was little hope he would survive…But he survived. Next they told him he may never walk again…But he’s walking. My brother is walking while missing four inches of his femur.
That was 2011. In March 2012, just a little over a year after my brother’s accident, he completed the Bataan Memorial Death March (a marathon in the desert).
I started this quest to DO something, something my brother has made me realize I should never take for granted. This list originated only as physical accomplishments, but has since evolved. I started this quest because I can’t stand settling, compromise or cookie cutter. I want to live a different life – a life worth writing about, a life my great grand kids will look at in awe.
I believe we only get better through overcoming challenges and new experiences. It may not always be easy or safe…but it’s all part of growth and becoming a better human.
Feel free to subscribe via email to see where my quest takes me, or even start your own better human quest.
Viva la revolution!
- Pay off all debt and be debt free for life!
- Own real estate
Have a kid[May 2012]
- See the aurora borealis
WANA-BE ADRENALINE JUNKIE
- Go skydiving
Fly in an F-16[March 2009] Solo flight in an aircraft[August 2008]
- Go Bungee Jumping
- Go Scubadiving
Go Parasailing[August 2008] (how I asked Emily to marry me)
- Learn to Surf
- Learn to Kiteboard
Own my own business[January 2013] Turn Eo3 into a Business[January 2013] Write an eBook[February 2012] 1,000 subscribers on Eo3[October 2012]
- 5,000 subscribers on Eo3
- 10,000 subscribers on Eo3
- 20,000 subscribers on Eo3
- Donate $1,000 to the Wounded Warrior Project
- Change someone’s life
- Write 1,000,000 words
- Become a published author
- Be the man Emily needs each and every single day until the day I die.
- Be the father William needs each and every single day until the day I die.
- To fish
- How to change his oil
- How to be a gentleman
- How to shave
- How to be a better man than I am
- ….Teach William everything I know!!! (list will be updated as time goes along)
- Visit Every Continent
- Go Swimming in Every Ocean
- Visit Stone Henge
- See all of the 7 Wonders of the World
- Go to Licata, Sicily
- Visit a majority of Europe
- Visit South Africa
- Visit Bora Bora
Go without internet for a month[June 2008] Go without a car for a month[June 2008]
- Go to the airport and buy a ticket without knowing where I’m going.
- Fluent in one other language
- Make a “bug-out” bag
- Hold an iron cross for 20 seconds
- Complete all four of Jim Wendler’s Prowler Challenges
- 5K (certified and sanctioned)
- Half marathon (certified and sanctioned)
- Marathon (certified and sanctioned)
- 1 mile swim
- 50,000 lb. 1 Day Challenge
- 250,000 lb. 1 Week Challenge (coming soon at End of Three Fitness)
- 1,000,000 lb. 1 Month Challenge (coming soon at End of Three Fitness)
- Run 30 miles in one week
- Complete a 5 mile Fartlek Run
Squat 100% of bodyweight Squat 200% of body-weight Bench 100% of body-weight Bench 150% of body-weight Deadlift 100% of body-weight Deadlift 250% of body-weight Press 100% of body-weight Push Press 125% of body-weight Clean 150% of body-weight Snatch 100% of body-weight 25 consecutive strict pull-ups
- Climb a 20 ft. rope with arms only
Complete 1,000 double unders for time 50 consecutive kipping pull ups
- Register and complete a Tough Mudder Race
- Complete “The Garage Gym WOD Challenge“
Complete an obstacle course of any kind[April 2012]
- Scale a mountain or rock face
Complete and max a military PT test: Army – Air Force – Marine
- Complete ALL CrossFit Girl WODs
- Complete ALL CrossFit Hero WODs
- Complete CrossFit Workout “Kalsu“
- Complete CrossFit Workout “King Kong“
- Complete Paul Smith’s “Kong“
- Walk 50 consecutive yards on hands
- Workout on top of mountain (film if possible)
- Some sort of workout in an airplane
- Workout on a building top (film if possible)
- Run/workout on a runway (preferably inactive and film if possible)
- 100 outdoor self created workouts Blair Morrison Style (film all)
- Run suicides on a football field for the entire length, every five yards
- 100 consecutive kipping pull-ups
- Hold a handstand for a minute (free standing)
CrossFit Fartlek[February 2012]
- Complete 1 repetition of a one-armed pull-up
- Complete the Bataan Memorial Death March