Today, we learn how to make bulletproof coffee (BULLETPROOF® Coffee)
Yes, we will be making coffee, that if poured all over your body, would make you impenetrable to a speeding bullet…not really.
We will actually be making coffee that is an upgrade to your normal cup of joe. A cup of coffee that will leave you energized for hours, eliminate any crashes, help you burn fat, gain muscle, and be an overall better human….That’s a cup of coffee for End of Three Fitness.
You can call it Better Human Coffee or Bulletproof Coffee, either would be 100% appropriate.
First things first. The disclaimer. I didn’t create this coffee recipe, I don’t pretend like I invented any portion of it, and all of the credit should go to Dave Asprey, the original creator of Bulletproof Coffee. Being that End of Three Fitness is full of better human questers, productivity junkies and efficiency masters, bulletproof coffee just seems to fit. Bulletproof Coffee is just something I have done a lot of research on and recently added to my daily routine, so I had to share with Eo3 Nation. Thanks Dave!!
Let’s get started!
First, I’ll tell you how to make Bulletproof Coffee, then we can dive into some of the health benefits associated with this stuff.
How to Make Bulletproof Coffee (Step By Step):
This is too easy.
*A quick note about the picture above. It is really about a tablespoon per large mug of coffee. So if you only brew one mug’s worth of coffee, don’t use 2 Tbs, just 1 Tbs.
*Optional Step 5: Add cinnamon
What you need:
- Awesome Coffee
- UNSALTED grass-fed butter (Kerry Gold is a common brand)
- MCT Oil or Coconut Oil (I use coconut oil)
- Powerful Blender
Awesome Coffee – Since this recipe originated from Dave, I will give out a link to his coffee that he specially formulated for Bulletproof Coffee. A major aspect to the complete health benefits associated with bulletproof coffee is the quality of the coffee. So make sure you get some good stuff. Dave’s coffee is supposed to be great,
but I haven’t tried it yet I have now tried it! Great coffee, but a little pricey.
*Note: You DO NOT need his coffee to make bulletproof coffee. I recommend starting with whatever coffee you currently use. It doesn’t defeat the purpose or degrade the premise behind bulletproof coffee. Dave makes some good arguments on why you should upgrade your coffee, but just see how you like bulletproof coffee first.
Unsalted grass-fed butter – Salty coffee ain’t no good, and you can read about the benefits of grass-fed butter below; this stuff is a necessity.
*Note: Unlike the coffee, you DO need to use grass fed unsalted butter, don’t substitute margarine or anything else, this will defeat the purpose.
MCT Oil or Coconut Oil – Coconut oil technically is MCT oil, but MCT oil is more concentrated than coconut oil, which has been proven to help with fat loss (read more below). I roll with coconut oil because I have an abundance of it. Even Dave says it is an acceptable alternative. UPDATE: I use MCT Oil now due to its potency.
- ANOTHER UPDATE: I have been using Dave’s Upgraded Brain Octane Oil and really enjoy its potency and ease of digestion.
Powerful Blender – Oil and water (coffee) do not mix…easily. Even if you melt the oil and butter and poor it into your coffee like a creamer, it still won’t work. You will just have coffee with a nice oil mixture on top. You need a powerful blender that will force the two liquids together and give you a latte-looking finish, with foam on top.
Now, whether you inject it, put it in a coffee cup or a Steel Pint…is up to you!
My Take on the “Real” Bulletproof Coffee
After doing coconut oil for awhile and my normal coffee grounds, I decided to do the full UpgradedSelf regimen – so I forked over the cash and purchased all of the Bulletproof Coffee Stuff.
- My take on this “Bulletproof” Stuff: It’s high quality coffee, that’s for sure. But not a HUGE difference compared to what I normally drink. But I already drink pretty high quality coffee. However, I do think the Oil, either his MCT Oil or Brain Octane Oil are much better than coconut oil.
Health Benefits To Bulletproof Coffee:
- Fat Loss Anyone? Medium-chain triglyceride (MCT), found in coconut oil, consumption has been shown to lead to greater losses of the adipose tissue (fat) in animals and humans.
- More Energy For You! Studies have shown that the fast rate of oxidation of MCFA (Medium chain fatty acids) leads to increase energy expenditure (EE). It is absorbed differently in the body as opposed to long chain fatty acids.
- Eating Fat Will Make Me Fat…NOPE!! Greater energy expenditure with MCFA relative to long-chain fatty acids (LCFA) results in less body weight gain and decreased size of fat depots after several months of consumption.
- Why Grass Fed Butter? Fresh grass in the cow diet improves the rheological and nutritional properties of butter. The nutritional value of butter is improved by the proportion of fresh grass in the diet of cows by halving the atherogenicity index.
- You’re Trying To Give Me a Heart Attack!! Despite the high saturated fat content of dairy products, no clear association between dairy product intake and risk of myocardial infarction (MI) has been observed.
- Gain Muscle – Both exercise and coffee raise cellular energy use while simultaneously inhibiting your muscle building mechanisms (mTOR) for a brief period, which causes it to “spring back” and build even more muscle as soon as you eat. There are 3 known ways to raise mTOR. Intermittent fasting, exercise, and coffee.
This cup of coffee alone is probably about 10x healthier than your current breakfast, and it has the calories to match (think meal replacement). But having said that, healthy fats, if you are not accustomed to digesting them, can be a little rough on the stomach. I recommend starting with just 1 Tbs and moving up. I jumped right into 2 Tbs and had no problems, but I am not aware of what YOUR current diet looks like.
Have a cup of this stuff, and have a GREAT morning with no crash later!!
Who wants to try some bulletproof coffee!?
The is just the beginning! Let me show you 11 Ways to Quit Being Average in Fitness, in my free eBook: